Ti trovi qui: History > The estate
→ The estate
The "Villaspada" estate was last owned from Olimpia of the marquise Spada, who was the last of the Romagna branch of the family, she soled the properties and the villa to Antonio Cattani a rich land keeper, who already owned the "Poggiale" estate near Faenza.
Soon later Antonio Cattani received from Pope Pio the ninth the title of marquise.
When Antonio Cattani's son Giuseppe died in 1889 the Brisighella estate was left to the nephew of his sister, count Francesco Ginanni Fantuzzi from Ravenna, who died without heir in 1935 leaving the estate to his brother's sons, Count Gabriele and Gianfranco Ginanni Fantuzzi, who's heirs still own the estate.
With no doubt the most ancient estate of the land of Lamone, it goes back to half 1500 it was built from Paolo Spada, treasurer of the Legation of Romagna. For this reason the Villa was called "Villaspada".
Paolo Spada built over some former fortificated structures, a palace/villa placed within the entrance to Brisighella town. In the villa was born whom would become the famous Cardinal "Bernardino Spada". A document dated back to 1776 found in the archives of the villa reads that the marquise Muzio Spada together with the villa owned in Brisighella twenty five holdings and two mill units.